SenolyticsMelatonin

CeeJayBee
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Melatonin

Post by CeeJayBee » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 am

I never liked it for sleep... found it kept you hovering above REM and i'd wake often during the night.

But as it is a potent anti-oxidant, i wonder if it also has senolytic properties.

I ordered a big bottle of Melatonin gummies (yes, i did) and take a fraction of one serving every morning. Got the idea from ChrisBon

Does anyone know if it does act as a senolytic?
Last edited by CeeJayBee on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.


NewLifeScience
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: Melatonin

Post by NewLifeScience » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 am

I know Melatonin is a SIRT1 activator

So i think that does make it a senolytic. But it is definitely good for you and i think you are taking it the best way!

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=1441&p=4870&hilit=melatonin#p4870
NMN

Astragalus
Berberine
Blueberry extract
Green Tea Extract
Gotu Kola
Liposomal Curcumin / Resveratrol
Melatonin
Methyl B12
Methylfolate Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E tocotrienols
Vitamin K2
Virgin Olive Oil
canadahealthy
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Re: Melatonin

Post by canadahealthy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Another multi-purpose compound, since it is also a potent anti-oxidant.

So if you take a small amount (i.e. a piece of a gummy) it doesn't affect sleep?
CeeJayBee
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Re: Melatonin

Post by CeeJayBee » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 pm
Another multi-purpose compound, since it is also a potent anti-oxidant.

So if you take a small amount (i.e. a piece of a gummy) it doesn't affect sleep?
No affect, as long as i take the small amount... about 1/3 of a gummie, about 0.8 mg. And i take it in the morning, or i don't take it at all. I never liked what this stuff did for sleep. rather than getting a good sleep, i would hover around the sleep line and wake several times during the night.

It could just be my brain (long term clinical depression) but as I am sensitive to it, i think taking what i take will have no affect on sleep for anyone.
User avatar
stoffe123
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:56 am

Re: Melatonin

Post by stoffe123 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 am

CeeJayBee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm
canadahealthy wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 pm
Another multi-purpose compound, since it is also a potent anti-oxidant.

So if you take a small amount (i.e. a piece of a gummy) it doesn't affect sleep?
No affect, as long as i take the small amount... about 1/3 of a gummie, about 0.8 mg. And i take it in the morning, or i don't take it at all. I never liked what this stuff did for sleep. rather than getting a good sleep, i would hover around the sleep line and wake several times during the night.

It could just be my brain (long term clinical depression) but as I am sensitive to it, i think taking what i take will have no affect on sleep for anyone.
Melatonin is a natural substance that is in your body all the time and controls the body-clock. It gets high in the evening so you become tired and go to sleep and it gets low in the morning so you wake up and stays low during the day.

If you wake up during the night I find it impossible that it is because of the intake of melatonin, unless of course the compound you bought is not pure and contain other things.

If you want to take melatonin for other purposes (which I don't believe is so great) I think you should definitley take it in the evening. Messing with the body-clock by taking it in the morning seems very wrong to me.
--------------------------------------
NMN sublingual ca 600mg/day, Resverathrol sublingual 6x20mg/day, IMF 8pm-12, daily stretchprogram, daily strength training, hot/cold baths, sleep hygien, HIIT-training, what else? ....
CeeJayBee
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Re: Melatonin

Post by CeeJayBee » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:24 am

stoffe123 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 am
CeeJayBee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm
canadahealthy wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 pm
Another multi-purpose compound, since it is also a potent anti-oxidant.

So if you take a small amount (i.e. a piece of a gummy) it doesn't affect sleep?
No affect, as long as i take the small amount... about 1/3 of a gummie, about 0.8 mg. And i take it in the morning, or i don't take it at all. I never liked what this stuff did for sleep. rather than getting a good sleep, i would hover around the sleep line and wake several times during the night.

It could just be my brain (long term clinical depression) but as I am sensitive to it, i think taking what i take will have no affect on sleep for anyone.
Melatonin is a natural substance that is in your body all the time and controls the body-clock. It gets high in the evening so you become tired and go to sleep and it gets low in the morning so you wake up and stays low during the day.

If you wake up during the night I find it impossible that it is because of the intake of melatonin, unless of course the compound you bought is not pure and contain other things.

If you want to take melatonin for other purposes (which I don't believe is so great) I think you should definitley take it in the evening. Messing with the body-clock by taking it in the morning seems very wrong to me.

I am not worried about the body clock. as it doesn't affect my sleep at all. In fact taking it at night DID mess with my body clock.

However, you do bring up an interesting point, this is a hormone... and perhaps taking it artificially is not a great idea.

But here is the question: What's worse, taking a small amount insufficient to affect the circadian rhythm, or taking enough to affect sleep (i.e. more).

Does taking a significant amount (with noticeable effects) of melatonin daily affect the body's normal production of melatonin? That is something that we should be considering.

I am over 50... and am taking a small amount. But i could be setting myself up to ALWAYS have to take it.

Either way... something to think about

Welcome to the forum.

We may as well all all be Vulcan, because we all want to live long and prosper.
smokinjoe
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 am

Re: Melatonin

Post by smokinjoe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:15 pm

I've been taking about 1 mg per day during the day as well.

Several studies say it is a safe 'nutraceutical' and point to potential anticancer and pro-muscular effects, not to mention anti-oxidation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31991655/

It is also a compound that is increased in the gastrointestinal tracts from fasting, which i find very interesting.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21451205/

Even better, there are studies suggesting that melatonin can increase telomere lengthening telomerase

https://sanescohealth.com/blog/increase ... mentation.
User avatar
thomasdmd
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Re: Melatonin

Post by thomasdmd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:59 pm

I had a problem with melatonin in the past. About 10 years ago I started developing heart palpitations. I went to a cardiologist and have every test possible. Everything was OK then I stopped taking the melatonin and it resolved. I tried 4 different brands with the same result. Finally I found a low dose time release brand which I only take 1/8 of a pill to get a beneficial sleep affect https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDABRUW/re ... mFb6MYPF5A
NewLifeScience
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: Melatonin

Post by NewLifeScience » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 pm

smokinjoe wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:15 pm
I've been taking about 1 mg per day during the day as well.

Several studies say it is a safe 'nutraceutical' and point to potential anticancer and pro-muscular effects, not to mention anti-oxidation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31991655/

It is also a compound that is increased in the gastrointestinal tracts from fasting, which i find very interesting.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21451205/

Even better, there are studies suggesting that melatonin can increase telomere lengthening telomerase

https://sanescohealth.com/blog/increase ... mentation.
Wow Joe, these are good finds and good sources.

I am also looking at Astragalus for telomere lengthening. Maybe adding melatonin could increase the effects synergistically.
NMN

Astragalus
Berberine
Blueberry extract
Green Tea Extract
Gotu Kola
Liposomal Curcumin / Resveratrol
Melatonin
Methyl B12
Methylfolate Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E tocotrienols
Vitamin K2
Virgin Olive Oil
smokinjoe
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 am

Re: Melatonin

Post by smokinjoe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 am

NewLifeScience wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 pm
smokinjoe wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:15 pm
I've been taking about 1 mg per day during the day as well.

Several studies say it is a safe 'nutraceutical' and point to potential anticancer and pro-muscular effects, not to mention anti-oxidation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31991655/

It is also a compound that is increased in the gastrointestinal tracts from fasting, which i find very interesting.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21451205/

Even better, there are studies suggesting that melatonin can increase telomere lengthening telomerase

https://sanescohealth.com/blog/increase ... mentation.
Wow Joe, these are good finds and good sources.

I am also looking at Astragalus for telomere lengthening. Maybe adding melatonin could increase the effects synergistically.
The list just keeps growing. I can't find any issues with a small dose of a supplement that is shown to increase the length of our telomeres. After all i think most of us were brought here is the search of increase lifespan and healthspan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic