ExerciseArticle: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

OzSport

Article: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

Post by OzSport » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:33 am

A super short and sharp article on how to exercise to promote longevity:

https://amp.mindbodygreen.com/articles/ ... -longevity

Coles Notes version: 
- Activate fast-twitch muscles (do HIIT workouts)
- Incorporate light strength training

canadahealthy

Re: Article: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

Post by canadahealthy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:29 pm

Interesting. You are right about both... short and sharp.

I currently do distance running, on a nice safe treadmill with adjustable incline. During my 'runs' i do sprints where i am running at a fair clip, but I wouldn't characterize it as an explosive burst.

I finally got my punching/kicking bag. I am just waiting for the gloves. This will definitely be several examples of explosive movements. It has been over 10 years since i last used a bag, but it is an absolutely excellent way to fight stress, get extreme cardio and get strength, and it is essentially a High Intensity Interval type of workout - no question.

So I am not sure about the research here, but i got this covered. :)
OzSport

Re: Article: "Two Fitness Tips To Promote Longevity, From An Exercise Physiologist"

Post by OzSport » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:51 am

Well done, canadahealthy!  Yes, boxing is a great exercise - a friend of mine has done the cardio class called "Boxercise" which incorporates traditional boxing drills with cardio components and he says it's a fantastic work-out!
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:49 am

To me, there are so many reasons to use a punching/kicking bag, most of all to reduce stress.

I think it is engaging the fight in our fight vs. fight impulse, and therefore allowing you to act physically without that conflict going on in the brain.

not to mention the burst activity described above, the toning for your muscles, and the clearing of your skin, flushing of the sweating. expanding your thermo-neutral zone.

Just don't break your wrist on the first day!
OzSport

Post by OzSport » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Haha, yeah --
exercise = good
break wrist = bad   :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic