NMNMy grandma has been secretly taking 5000mg+ of NMN SL per day.

Japes

My grandma has been secretly taking 5000mg+ of NMN SL per day.

Post by Japes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:43 am

I bought my 94 year old grandma NMN Sublingual a while back, the first bottle she took as recommended but slowly upped her amount to 8 tablets per day. She has installed stents and frequently has severe discomfort from it, she has used Nitroglycerin for that discomfort for years. Ever since taking NMN, she tried taking Nitroglycerin when she was in pain and she said it had the reverse effect it used to. It would cause her more pain and discomfort. She started to take NMN during the pain (because my dad had told her it was good for her heart), and she seemed to get relief from it.

11 days ago I purchased 3 more bottles for her, and today she has told me she is almost finished 2 of 3 (she took over 450 tablets). I can't for the life of my convince her that she should not be taking that much, because she says whenever she is feeling uncomfortable, she takes a few tablets and it helps. 

What do I do? This amount cannot be good for her, but what is the maximum amount I could give her? Is there any research that NMN has instant heart pain relief or is this all in her head?

NewLifeScience

Re: My grandma has been secretly taking 5000mg+ of NMN SL per day.

Post by NewLifeScience » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 am

Ok, I wlll venture my opinion as  a layperson with 2 years experience om this forum.  I imagine you will hear from doctors on this site as well.

I would agree that that is far too much to take.. but probably not dangerous. But one thing that can happen is that she will use up certain methyl groups, which can make her tired.

The methyl groups are replenished by taking occasional B12 (as methylcobalamin) and folate (not folic acid, which is a different form).

And I have been giving my mother 500mg per day. I don't see how taking 1 gram would hurt.

The good news is that she very likely wasn't keeping the SL under her tongue long enough to absorb  it. I hope that is true. If she just swallowed the pills, she would only be getting a fraction on the NMN if she wasn't taking it as it was made for.

I am sure she is experiencing a NAD+ boost, hence her conviction that it helps.

This is a tough one but i would tell her she is going to wear herself out with that dose.

And maybe you need to hold the bottles in the meantime?

And there is a new product, NMN capsules times release. She may do better with those. Perhaps 500mg to 750mg per day?

There may be a temptation to give her NAD+ rather than NMN. I don;t do that for my mom, since she is prone to Thrush (yeast) and NAD+ is also beneficial to yeast.

Like I said, I am a layperson. Some of the physicians will weigh in soon I hope.

NMN

Astragalus
Berberine
Blueberry extract
Green Tea Extract
Gotu Kola
Liposomal Curcumin / Resveratrol
Melatonin
Methyl B12
Methylfolate
Sulforaphane
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E tocotrienols
Vitamin K2
Virgin Olive Oil
drkris69

Post by drkris69 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am

Yes Japes that is entirely too much! I would advise no more than 1000mgs  per day and that dose should be slowly ramped up over several weeks. I think the new capsules would be perfect for her as the dose would be easy to measure and can be taken all at once.
Newage

Post by Newage » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:10 pm

drkris69 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am
Yes Japes that is entirely too much! I would advise no more than 1000mgs  per day and that dose should be slowly ramped up over several weeks. I think the new capsules would be perfect for her as the dose would be easy to measure and can be taken all at once.

Try 5 separate containers marked Monday to Friday with the daily dose in each one.
As drkris69 suggests that daily dose should be somewhere between 250mgs to 1000mgs.
Give your Grandma 5 days supply and lock the rest of the product away until the next week.
You then have control to avoid elderly relatives taking too much of anything. In a lot of cases the very elderly do not remember how many times a day that they have been to the pill cabinet..

rhett

Post by rhett » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:29 am

There is some evidence from mouse studies that there is such a thing as too much where you no longer get the benefit of supplementation. I think the last time we dug into it, it seemed like the point of "too much" was around 1500mg - 2000mg daily.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic