LongevityArticle: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

OzSport
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 am

Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by OzSport » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:13 am

A short but interesting article about how meditation may help one's brain from aging:

Excerpt: "A recently pubished 18-year analysis of the mind of a Buddhist monk by the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin-Madison found daily, intensive meditation slowed the monk's brain aging by as much as eight years when compared to a control group."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/heal ... index.html


Drdavid
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 am

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by Drdavid » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 am

This is a fascinating study. I have recommended meditation for over a decade and have seem great things but this shows some of the science. Thank you
OzSport
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 am

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by OzSport » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:23 am

No worries, Drdavid! Meditation is hard to get into, but it looks like it's well worth the effort to try to make it a habit!
Newage
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by Newage » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:17 pm

OzSport wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:23 am
No worries, Drdavid! Meditation is hard to get into, but it looks like it's well worth the effort to try to make it a habit!
I agree and especially taking into account the circumstances that we all find ourselves in at the present time.
Meditation can reduce Anxiety, Blood Pressure and improve State of Mind...
steventreid
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:19 am

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by steventreid » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:14 pm

OzSport wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:13 am
A short but interesting article about how meditation may help one's brain from aging:

Excerpt: "A recently pubished 18-year analysis of the mind of a Buddhist monk by the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin-Madison found daily, intensive meditation slowed the monk's brain aging by as much as eight years when compared to a control group."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/heal ... index.html

 
I do agree too because meditation helped me to move out from financial and lockdown depreciation during the covid 19. I do meditation now a regular basis. This helps me a lot to keep my mind fresh. Anyways I have learned meditation from https://manifestrich.com/ there are good courses and many tips about meditation. Anyways, Do you think that meditation and hypnosis are the same? :?:
  :?:
 
canadahealthy
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by canadahealthy » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:14 pm

I watched an entertaining video the other day... a thoughtful content provider called "Thoughty2". We have several different types of brain waves (frequencies) and some only come when we are in a deep state of relaxation.

There may be a type of relaxation (or meditation) where you can make huge leaps in your consciousness or solve tricky problems.

Fascinating stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=GHuxLIpmxYg
OzSport
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 am

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by OzSport » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:40 am

steventreid wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:14 pm
OzSport wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:13 am
A short but interesting article about how meditation may help one's brain from aging:

Excerpt: "A recently pubished 18-year analysis of the mind of a Buddhist monk by the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin-Madison found daily, intensive meditation slowed the monk's brain aging by as much as eight years when compared to a control group."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/heal ... index.html


 
I do agree too because meditation helped me to move out from financial and lockdown depreciation during the covid 19. I do meditation now a regular basis. This helps me a lot to keep my mind fresh. Anyways I have learned meditation from https://manifestrich.com/ there are good courses and many tips about meditation. Anyways, Do you think that meditation and hypnosis are the same? :?:
  :?:
 

 
That's fantastic, steventreid - glad to hear that meditation has helped you out!  :D

Good question, I think they are different but I wasn't sure the exact reason why so I googled it and came across this webpage:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmope ... ciousness/

According to the page:

"Hypnosis is a state of extreme self-focus and attention in which minimal attention is given to external stimuli." 

"Meditation is the act of focusing on a single target (such as the breath or a repeated sound) to increase awareness of the moment. While hypnosis is generally achieved through the interaction of a therapist and the person being treated, an individual can perform meditation alone."
OzSport
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 am

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by OzSport » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:41 am

canadahealthy wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:14 pm
I watched an entertaining video the other day... a thoughtful content provider called "Thoughty2". We have several different types of brain waves (frequencies) and some only come when we are in a deep state of relaxation.

There may be a type of relaxation (or meditation) where you can make huge leaps in your consciousness or solve tricky problems.

Fascinating stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=GHuxLIpmxYg

 
That's really cool stuff, thanks for sharing, canadahealthy!  :D
TedB
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 pm

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by TedB » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:52 am

I am not big on meditation, but i do insist on getting just more than 7 hours of sleep at night. Sleep being good brain rest.
Newage
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Re: Article: "Daily meditation could slow aging in your brain, study says"

Post by Newage » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:46 pm

TedB wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:52 am
I am not big on meditation, but i do insist on getting just more than 7 hours of sleep at night. Sleep being good brain rest.

 
Good sleep along with meditation you get a positive “double whammy” 👍
 
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic