LongevityUsing CRISPR to reprogram cells to a younger state

jocko6889

Using CRISPR to reprogram cells to a younger state

Post by jocko6889 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:38 pm

To those familiar with the concept of reprogramming the epigenome to a younger state, this new technique is mind boggling and would seem to be the most efficient way to roll back age.  Here's the article:

"CRISPR Epigenetic Breakthrough

This new CRISPR technique allows us to switch genes on and off

Scientists have been able to “reset” the epigenome in cells to a younger state for a while now, thanks to exposure to four chemicals known as Yamanaka factors; however, this process is complicated, requires precise timing, and is indirect in that exposure to Yamanaka factors pushes cells to use their internal machinery to reset the epigenome. 

The new technique, based on the popular CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing tool, enables directly changing the epigenome of cells, switching genes on or off at will. More specifically, the new technique allows to methylate or demethylate specific portions of the genome using single-guide RNA. In experiments, the technique performed very well, with over 80% of the targeted genes remaining silenced 50 days after the application."

For the entire article and video, click the link below:
https://www.lifespan.io/news/lifespan-n ... akthrough/

drkris69

Re: Using CRISPR to reprogram cells to a younger state

Post by drkris69 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:10 pm

CRISPR is really cool. I have a friend that is getting treated now using this new technology to treat his bladder cancer. Hes doing  really good and has a great prognosis and looks like also many years left to enjoy his family and friends!
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:20 pm

drkris69 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:10 pm
CRISPR is really cool. I have a friend that is getting treated now using this new technology to treat his bladder cancer. Hes doing  really good and has a great prognosis and looks like also many years left to enjoy his family and friends!

That's amazing, Dr. Kris!  So many new human trials using CRISPR for sickle cell and other blood disorders, Altzheimer's and so many other diseases of old age.  It only makes sense to treat the source of the problem by selectively switching genes on and off.

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:15 am

I can only imagine where this is heading.

There is a YouTube channel called The Thought Emporium. This guy is extremely knowledgeable. I think he cured his own lactose intolerance usnig a virus to deliver DNA snippets that break down lactose.

I think it is WAAAAAY too soon to be doing stuff like that. But he did do it.

If you are curious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FcbFqSoQY&ab_channel=TheThoughtEmporium

jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:39 pm

smokinjoe wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:15 am

There is a YouTube channel called The Thought Emporium. This guy is extremely knowledgeable. I think he cured his own lactose intolerance usnig a virus to deliver DNA snippets that break down lactose.

If you are curious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FcbFqSoQY&ab_channel=TheThoughtEmporium

Interesting.  The whole concept of do-it-yourself gene therapy shows how far it has come.  Sinclair has said he thinks the ultimate cure for old age will probably be carried out someplace like Costa Rica, where you could bypass years of human trials.  Or some guy working at home may come up with a way to use CRISPR to replace old sections of the epigenome with younger versions and sell it on ebay for $99. 

The only problem I can see with using CRISPR to roll back age is that you'd have to cut and paste the epigenome using a different RNA strand for each individual cell type (one for neurons, one for kidneys, one for heart, etc), versus using Yamanaka factors in a viral vector or by administering a drug that would work for all cell types.

drkris69

Post by drkris69 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am

jocko6889 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:39 pm
smokinjoe wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:15 am

Interesting.  The whole concept of do-it-yourself gene therapy shows how far it has come.  Sinclair has said he thinks the ultimate cure for old age will probably be carried out someplace like Costa Rica, where you could bypass years of human trials.  Or some guy working at home may come up with a way to use CRISPR to replace old sections of the epigenome with younger versions and sell it on ebay for $99. 

The only problem I can see with using CRISPR to roll back age is that you'd have to cut and paste the epigenome using a different RNA strand for each individual cell type (one for neurons, one for kidneys, one for heart, etc), versus using Yamanaka factors in a viral vector or by administering a drug that would work for all cell types.

The science world is about to break wide open with some suppressed technologies that have been hidden from us because of BIG PHARMA.

rhett

Post by rhett » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:08 pm

I don't think Big Pharma is hiding anything in a nefarious way, but the drug development and approval system in the US has grown to the level that the average drug costs LITERALLY $1 BILLION to get approved. Nobody but the largest pharma companies can afford that process and choosing which drugs to attempt to push through to the next level is an enormous business decision/risk. 

There isn't an incentive to try radical new ideas because failure is expensive. mRNA vaccine technology was ready to go, but it took Covid19 to light a fire under the system to finally put them into human trials. Now, they'll likely be used to fight all sorts of diseases including cancer, but they would have been sitting on a shelf, maybe forever, if Covid19 hadn't happened.

CeeJayBee

Post by CeeJayBee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:58 pm

Open source 'find and replace' bio hacking.

What could possibly go wrong?

I know a lot of good things are going to come out of it. But there can also be some scary outcomes.
ChrisBON

Post by ChrisBON » Wed May 05, 2021 7:47 am

CeeJayBee wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:58 pm

I know a lot of good things are going to come out of it. But there can also be some scary outcomes.

I agree, DIY gene programming without rigorous standards to ensure safety can create big trouble.

But some people know their stuff and computer models may help people avoid certain dangerous pitfalls.
Taking:
NMN since June, 2019 (started at 250mg, 500mg as of Oct 1st)
NAD+ nasal spray since July, 2019
Resveratrol since Sept 2019
Astaxanthin 10mg since October 20th
Blueberry concentrate 500 mg since October 20th
Berberine 250 mg since October 20th
jocko6889

Post by jocko6889 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 pm

ChrisBON wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:47 am
CeeJayBee wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:58 pm

I agree, DIY gene programming without rigorous standards to ensure safety can create big trouble.

But some people know their stuff and computer models may help people avoid certain dangerous pitfalls.

Some guy is selling do-it-yourself home CRISPR kits on ebay.  Just one direction of many this is headed.  Dr. Frankenstein wannabe's in their basement creating a CRISPR cut and paste RNA strand to grow bigger muscles, or bigger (fill in the blank).  If we can keep from blowing ourselves up first, eventually you'll be able to morph into almost anything. 

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic