LongevityTopical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized trial

User avatar
AlbertY
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:01 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized trial

Post by AlbertY » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 pm

This prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, exploratory study was conducted to test the hypothesis that a topical application of rapamycin (10 μM) would decrease the number of senescent cells in the skin and decrease markers of aging.

Thirty-six participants were enrolled in the study, and nineteen discontinued or were lost to follow-up. A significant (P = 0.008) reduction in p16INK4A protein levels and an increase in collagen VII protein levels (P = 0.0077) were observed among participants at the end of the study. Clinical improvement in skin appearance was noted in multiple participants, and immunohistochemical analysis revealed improvement in histological appearance of skin tissue. Topical rapamycin reduced the expression of the p16INK4A protein consistent with a reduction in cellular senescence. This change was accompanied by relative improvement in clinical appearance of the skin and histological markers of aging and by an increase in collagen VII, which is critical to the integrity of the basement membrane. These results indicate that rapamycin treatment is a potential anti-aging therapy with efficacy in humans.

Trial registration ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03103893.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 19-00113-y

Will this lead a revolution in the cosmetic market?


Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Fred

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by Fred » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:05 am

Thank you. I love skin aging research. Researchers are trying topical metformin also, in wound healing. Skin is one of the few tissues where we actually can witness rejuvenation with our own eyes.
CeeJayBee
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by CeeJayBee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Fred wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:05 am
Thank you. I love skin aging research. Researchers are trying topical metformin also, in wound healing. Skin is one of the few tissues where we actually can witness rejuvenation with our own eyes.
And this Rapamycin can possibly be mimicked with a 5-7 day fast, Fred?

I used to go on soup fasts, cheap chicken noodle or cream of mushroom soup, 2-3 times per day. The only issue was way too much sodium, but i wonder if that is a big deal if it is only for a few days.
rhett
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by rhett » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Super excited about rapamycin, just still not confident on what is the safe dosing amount/schedule yet. Definitely following along and will jump on the train once there is more data
Fred

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by Fred » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm

CeeJayBee wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm
And this Rapamycin can possibly be mimicked with a 5-7 day fast, Fred?

I used to go on soup fasts, cheap chicken noodle or cream of mushroom soup, 2-3 times per day. The only issue was way too much sodium, but i wonder if that is a big deal if it is only for a few days.
Partly mimicked yes. But I'm not sure how 5 days a month compares to 5 mg a week for example.

We need a study that compares the mTOR inhibition. But protein restriction is anti-aging.

Don't do chicken soup, do mushroom soup and vegetable soup. The less anabolic amino acids the better mTOR inhibition.
canadahealthy
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by canadahealthy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Fred wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm
CeeJayBee wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm
And this Rapamycin can possibly be mimicked with a 5-7 day fast, Fred?

I used to go on soup fasts, cheap chicken noodle or cream of mushroom soup, 2-3 times per day. The only issue was way too much sodium, but i wonder if that is a big deal if it is only for a few days.
Partly mimicked yes. But I'm not sure how 5 days a month compares to 5 mg a week for example.

We need a study that compares the mTOR inhibition. But protein restriction is anti-aging.

Don't do chicken soup, do mushroom soup and vegetable soup. The less anabolic amino acids the better mTOR inhibition.
It seems like the most powerful tool we have is the 5-7 day fast.
NewLifeScience
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by NewLifeScience » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 am

canadahealthy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm
Fred wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm
CeeJayBee wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm
And this Rapamycin can possibly be mimicked with a 5-7 day fast, Fred?

I used to go on soup fasts, cheap chicken noodle or cream of mushroom soup, 2-3 times per day. The only issue was way too much sodium, but i wonder if that is a big deal if it is only for a few days.
Partly mimicked yes. But I'm not sure how 5 days a month compares to 5 mg a week for example.

We need a study that compares the mTOR inhibition. But protein restriction is anti-aging.

Don't do chicken soup, do mushroom soup and vegetable soup. The less anabolic amino acids the better mTOR inhibition.
It seems like the most powerful tool we have is the 5-7 day fast.
Yes, Fred described the fasting reginen to have our body reproduce the process of taking rapamycin. a far safer approach (to me) since this is a heavy duty drub (anti-rejection) and likely hard to get your hands on safely.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=1120&p=2830&hilit=rapamycin#p2830
Taking:
Liposomal Curcumin / Resveratrol
NMN 500mg
Melatonin 1mg (am)
Blueberry extract 1g
Berberine 250mg
Vitamin E tocotrienols 50 mg
Astragalus 500 mg
Methyl B12 5000 mcg 3x/week
Methyl Folate 1000 mcg 1-3/week
Fred

Re: Topical rapamycin reduces markers of senescence and aging in human skin: an exploratory, prospective, randomized tri

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 am

...and here is a new article on RAPAMYCIN FOR THE AGING SKIN by Mikhail V. Blagosklonny who was one of the first researchers that proposed mTOR-inhibition as an anti-aging strategy. He applied for a patent on the topical use of rapamycin for aging skin way back in 2007.

I wonder what a cream with niacinamide/NMN/NR, resveratrol, metformin and rapamycin would do for skin used over prescription tretinoin lotion (vitamin A) at night? I use topical tretinoin, niacinamide, ascorbic acid, green tea and resveratrol with metformin orally. Metformin seems to have beneficial properties on the skin too, anti-acne and enhanced wound healing.

https://www.aging-us.com/article/102664/text
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic